Thursday, June 14, 2007

bye fourth grade, bye first grade

today is my girls' last day of school. actually the last day of school was about two weeks ago, but they have continued to visit the building daily to watch movies, get awards, and eat brownies while playing word bingo...but i digress. but today they go for a half a day and then summer break officially begins. i'm such a sentimental sucker especially when it comes to my kids. and so when my oldest (a rising 5th grader) told me that today as the children leave on the school bus, all the teachers will gather on the lawn and wave them goodbye, it tugged at my heart a little bit. good-byes, even when they are the mark of summer break are to me, bitter sweet.

i love the beginning of summer, but it also reminds me more than anyother time, of the passing of time. and how fast my kids are growing, and how much of a gift time with them is. so in some ways i see myself on that lawn, with the teachers, because I too am waving good-bye to a fourth grader and a first grader.

today i read that ruth graham (billy graham's) wife is in a coma and near death. I heard her say one time that she hated good-byes too. she will be soon taking the utlimate break, or sabbath, the sabbath rest that is prepared for all the saints. and those that stand on the lawn to wave good-bye...well they will still have tears...

...okay, enough of that, now can we go to the beach!

No comments: