Friday, June 01, 2007

that strange out-of-school feeling

do you remember that feeling you use to get when you were not in school and everyone else was. Not the "yeepee" -this-is-awseome feeling. no the other feeling. Be honest. Do you remember how when you were not in school and everyone else was...how it felt like you were in a foreign world...a place were not suppose to be...a strange world. Because the world you knew, and the people you hung with were all somewhere else. The streets seemed quiet and abandoned almost. And although it was nice NOT be in school it was also a strange, sort of disorienting experience. Everything seemed different, because you really had no idea what the grown ups did all day. And from what you could observe it all looked pretty boring.
I got the feeling today. I guess because I was thinking about he kids getting out for summer break soon. And I thought about how as we progress through life we are all slowly being released into the wild. For the first 18 years of your life, school is the place we spend most of our lives. INside the walls. Then some of us go to college, and it's sort of equal time in and outside the walls. And then one day freedom... Today I reminisced about how cool it was to once be locked up with all of my friends.
You know what, I still don't know what all (of us) the grown ups do all day...

No comments: